How to Rank High in Google Search Engine
9 Quick SEO tips to land on the first page of Google
How to Rank High in Google Search Engine? Every business owners dream is to make his/her company flourish. With the rise of the Internet, it has become easy to readjust one’s boundaries and reach out to global consumers. The first thing to achieve this goal is to have a powerful website which can cater to your goals and serve your customers better. It is unarguable; Google being the most search engine used by your potential consumers, ranking your website in Google is the foremost priority to be a global competitor.
It is estimated that 76% of people use Google as their search engine with over 17.8 million active users online. So getting into the first page of Google for your blog or website is the most important thing to achieve one’s goal.
You may not be good at coding your website. But a little knowledge about meta tags & Headlines would help you to make your website more friendly to Google on your own. Here are some helpful SEO tips to land on the top spot and stay there for a consistent amount of time.
1) Your website URL
- Choosing a perfect domain name is the first key step in ranking on Google. Your website URL must represent what your site is all about and the name must be relevant to the content on your site. For example, if you have a grocery store and your domain name is farmerproducts.com, you lose a lot of web traffic for your site though you sell all the organic products purchased directly from farmers.
- Your website URL must be short and sweet. Studies show that domains with large URLs and region-specific titles get ranked poorly on Google. Click here for the quick tips to choose a perfect domain name.
2) Meta title
Your H1 title and page titles must include keywords which are related to your web content. If you are training and development centre, make sure your H1 and page titles include either training or development. To have a better ranking, use only 30-65 characters including spaces for your page titles. Using more than the recommended characters may still work but you don’t want to be nearing black hat. To have a better understanding, click here.
3) Meta description
Here is where you can be more elaborate and creative. Use 70-160 characters for your description and include targeted keywords, locations and your specific field of expertise here.
Use your headline tags more wisely and intelligently. Google gives much priority to H1 tags while ranking your domain.
5) keywords, image attributes & Alt tags
Though content is always the king, keywords are the driving force behind making your content more unique and shareable. But too many words may irritate even the brilliant minds out there. Use content and images in sync. Here too…… Use keywords
more often in your content but don’t mess too much. Use keyword density tool to make sure your content have enough keywords required. Use the same keywords even for image alt tags.
6) Internal links
Your home page must consist of links to all internal pages and every page must again redirect to the homepage. Have a clear navigation and make your visitor understand exactly where he is on your site. Apart from the navigation bar, it’s recommended to have sidebars to your most targeted pages as if in a blog. Use attributes like top posts or most recent posts on your homepage itself to make the visitor navigation easy.
7) Outbound links.
These are simply your social media connections. Give links to all available social media sites and maintain a good post history in every one of those apart from maintaining your website. External links pointing towards your website will not only increase your social connections but can improve your site rankings as well. Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and much more related to your website content can be utilised to get maximum results.
What if you had good social connections, your content is rich, you have proper links and landed in the first page of Google and when a user tries to enter your website, it takes hell lot of time to load? How fast your web pages load is also an important criterion in ranking your page. Avoid rich graphics and high-resolution images to a minimum.
A clear navigation not only helps users to feel comfortable browsing your website but it also helps Google bots to index your pages quickly. To develop a sitemap for your website and keep a link on the homepage. Here are some tools to help you create your sitemap on your own.
These are the simple 9 steps to make your website or blog to land on the first page of Google.
But wait. If you want to consistently stay there for a long period of time, you need to continue reading.
Below listed are some of the key factors that help you keep your domain on the first page of Google.
The positive ranking factors
1) On-page SEO
On-page SEO is simply what a user searches on Google. Your content to be more lucrative and user-focused, you need to understand the user behaviour first. Use keyword planner tool or use your analytics to make your content more catchy and bot friendly. Go for a broad match for page topics and use an exact match from that list only if the keywords are natural to your content.
Another way to implement On-page SEO is to search for your area of expertise and what are the popular keywords used. Surfing through your competitor’s website for how they are using the keywords for better ranking is recommended. If you haven’t done the keyword research for your website or blog recently, do it again to stay ahead in the competition.
2) Make more pages
- Make one topic per page. This makes your exact match quotient (in Google terminology it’s simply called EMQ) better if your content is natural and user based.
- Your URL or title, headings from h1 to h4 & content should be targeted keywords based but stuffing more keywords would again be an EMD
- Write the content for humans. In this case, your targeted audience. Be more precise, not repetitive.
- Stay fresh. Update your content regularly. This makes Google bots easy to crawl into your web pages and pick your content. If you are using WordPress, have an ‘update on’ feature enabled. If you have enough room in your title tag, make sure you include current copyright and year.
It simply boils down to this: the more pages you have, the better are your chances of ratings.
3) SERP CTR matters more
- There is a steady increase of web traffic in the recent years. It’s is estimated that by 2020, 2/3rd of the entire world population will depend on web-based solutions and services for all their needs through desktops and smartphones. So it is always better if your website is mobile friendly. The responsive website has twice the CTR than normal websites.
- With such a tremendous increase in search traffic, having a better title/ description for your website or blog will lead to better conversion. Google calls it Panda
defence. By the way, don’t worry about panda algorithm. You just focus on right and subtle content for your users.
- To get more visitors to your website, find your CTR. Here’s how can check what CTR’s are trending right away.
Go to Google webmaster tool then click on search queries and look for top pages. You can preview your ad by looking at Google SERP emulator.
- But most importantly, differentiate yourself from your competitors. If a user searches for banana or bananas for sale, use: ripened and sweet bananas for 50% off sale. And always use power words which creates personalized and urgency in users mind. Some words like You, free, limited period, Now, because of
4) Link building
Google’s Hummingbird is the game changer algorithm. Since it’s implementation, Google doesn’t ranks ‘web pages’ but it ranks ‘entities’ that are associated with the URL. Here how it happens. A hummingbird eats all the HTML including schema and only searches for keywords in its own database. Google’s focus is shifting from website indexing to user searches more.
In simpler terms, if a particular search query has no. Of backlinks which point to your website, you are the one Google is looking for and displays you on her first page. The backlinks may include your social channels, ratings, factoids, articles and references to your website from various sources.
A quick tip here: Google rewards creativity. So beat the white hatters at their own game by being the most content shared themes like funny content- be hilarious with your content whatever topic it may be. Or better choose a controversial stance and be an emotion provoking. Or simply use popular or useful and interesting content that is evergreen. Because….. Content is always king.